2015-16 CHS students and parents,
As we prepare to close out the 2014-15 school year, we wish to inform you of the optional CHS iPad Summer Take-home Program. This program supports our belief that student learning and growth is not limited to the school day or year, and allows us to promote and encourage lifelong learning. For these reasons, we offer 2015-16 Haymaker high school students the opportunity to keep their school-issued iPad for the summer. This program does not apply to seniors who will graduate in 2015, but it DOES apply to current 8th grade students who will be moving to the high school next year. Click here for more information about the iPad Take-home Program at CHS.
If you and your student do not wish to participate in the Summer Take-home Program, the student will simply hand in their iPad on the last day of school and it will be returned to them when the 2015-16 school year begins. You may still elect to attend the spring meetings in preparation for the 2015-16 school year, but additional meetings (dates to be determined) will be scheduled before the start of school in August.
Please note the following changes in the program from previous years!
- Students and their parents are now only required to attend ONE parent meeting in their CHS career. Current CHS students who take their iPads home are NOT required to attend another parent meeting. Current 8th graders and all new students who will be entering CHS for the first time ARE required to attend a parent meeting before they will be given take-home privileges. This applies whether or not they are participating in the summer take-home program.
- 2015-16 students in grades 9-11 will be issued new iPads at some point in the summer or fall of 2015. The cases used for our current iPads will NOT work with the new iPads.
- The school will no longer provide mandatory iPad cases. We STRONGLY recommend that students purchase a case which will protect the iPad.
- The take-home fee which helps to cover repair costs has been reduced from $35 to $25. This fee covers ONE iPad repair per year. Subsequent repairs within a given school year are the financial responsibility of the student and parents. Typical repair costs are $100 - $130. Replacement cost is $379.
Cozad High School does NOT require students to participate in the take-home program. Students and parents may elect to leave the iPad at school, thus avoiding the take-home fee. However, students and their parents ARE still responsible for repair costs if the iPad is damaged due to negligence or lack of proper care while it is at school. If you elect to not pay the take-home fee, your student is not entitled to one free repair.
In order to participate in the iPad Summer Take-home Program, students and their parents must meet the following requirements.
- Incoming freshmen must attend ONE pre-summer parent meeting. These meetings are required for all incoming freshmen. At least one parent or guardian AND the student must attend this meeting together. Meetings will take place in the high school auditorium at 7 PM. Meeting dates are:
- Tuesday, April 14
- Wednesday, April 15
- Thursday, April 16
Updated information will be posted periodically on the Haymaker Tech Cafe blog and on our iPad Central web page.
- Sign and return the Device Take-home Program and Responsible Use Agreements. At the pre-summer parent meeting, you and your student will sign these agreements using the student’s iPad and submit these forms electronically. Both a parent AND the student must sign these documents. Because they will be signed and submitted electronically during the meeting, there is no reason to print them now nor do you need to bring them with you to the meeting.
- Pay the $25 iPad take-home use fee for 2014-15. The school will accept cash or checks, and will provide you with a receipt upon payment. This fee may be paid at the parent meeting, but MUST be paid by the final day of school, May 22nd, 2015 for the student to participate in the Summer Take-home Program.
The student iPad must be in good repair and working order. If the student’s current iPad is in need of repair due to a cracked or broken screen or other significant hardware damage, it MUST be repaired through the 2014-15 Take-home Program before the student will be eligible for the 2015-16 program. Students have been notified to schedule these repairs with the tech staff before May 8, 2015. For more information, please check out the announcement previously sent to students.
We are excited to provide these learning opportunities to our students and we look forward to working with you in preparing your child for the world of the 21st century!